Saturday, January 24, 2009

"This is why we live in Minnesota?"

Well, we're well into the new year... so far, we've lived through two of the coldest weeks in recent memory... for those of you in "sunny climes," how does -40 degrees grab ya? It's so cold... ("How cold is it?"), I had to wear two pairs of long underwear!

My relatives in sunny Southern CA can't believe we live through this stuff... of course, they think we have to chop holes in the lakes to go swimming in July! Like the youth guy at Prairie said, "After it gets below 0, it really doesn't matter how much colder it gets... it's all just cold!" You can't really tell much difference between minus 10 and minus eight billion!!!

As we enter 2009, we have new president, a world economy that's reeling, a housing market that hasn't hit bottom yet according to some experts, and tension throughout the world... what does all of that mean?

It's time to "pray without ceasing, baby!" I sometimes wonder what people without faith think... how do the respond to all the doom and gloom. I know that I couldn't get through all this without a belief in something greater than little ol' moi! It just proves that when left to our own devices, we have a tendency to fail miserably.

What bothers me most is the level and amount of greed out there. When I read about executives giving themselves big bonuses for driving long-established companies into bankruptcy, it boggles my mind... how do these people sleep? I get heartburn just thinking about it, don't you?

Luckily, faith has no monetary price tag... you can't buy or sell faith (well, maybe the televangelists can)... faith is a funny thing.

I wish I could have the faith of a child more often than I do... I wonder where that childlike faith goes as we get older... and isn't it funny, how people who have lived a good long life seem to regain that "faith of a child?" Makes me think that we're trying too hard sometimes.

All that being said, the great news is that.. pitchers and catchers report to spring training in less than a month... so you're telling me there's hope, huh? "People will come, Ray, they most certainly will come!"

Looking forward to spring... everybody has to believe in something... I believe I'll go to sleep!

Continue to pray for peace... see you in church!

PrairiePete

1 comment:

Craig and Sarah Beckman Family said...

hey PP! Good to read your stuff! I loved your latest message. Without faith I don't know where we'd be, maybe sleeping? : )

We can be blogging buddies
check out my blog at:
http://www.saltandclay.org/blog
Craig even writes sometimes too!