Sunday, November 09, 2008

The more things change...

...aw, never mind!

The nice thing about writing a "monthly" blog is that there usually is something to rant about. Hmmm, let me think... what happened between my last post in the beginning of October 'til now? Something important, I think... I don't think it was weather-related... oh yes, now I remember!

I celebrated a birthday... that's the ticket! Whenever someone asks me how old I am, I always say, "92, but I'm in great shape!"

I'll just say that I'm older than the President-elect, but younger than his Vice-President!

Kinda like Norm from "Cheers"... "Hey, Mr. Peterson, whatcha up to?" "My ideal weight if I were 7' 2"!"

I think the best thing I've heard re: post-election America is... isn't it a great country where we can have such a heated campaign, yet at the end of the day, we are all Americans. We need to put aside our differences and pray for our new president. Like I heard one newsperson say, "I wonder if Sen. Obama is saying to himself... now what do I do?"

All the speculation, analysis, commentary... do we really need all of the rhetoric?

I'm reminded of my dad's mom, who just died last summer at the age of 103... the things she must have seen, all the political maneuverings over all the years... from riding sail-powered fishing boats to watching men walk on the moon... from the joys of motherhood to the pain of having to bury a child and a spouse...

My grandma's birthday is November 10th... my birthday is the 7th, my brother's is the 4th, as is one of my co-workers... another celebrated her birthday on the 6th (which is the same as John Phillip Sousa; don't ask me how I remember that!)... there are a lot of birthdays in November!

On another note, I've become a YouTube addict... does anyone remember when MTV and VH1 actually broadcast music videos? Back when they mattered? (Oh, sorry... that was kinda political, wasn't it?)

Anyway, I was an MTV / VH! addict big time... I was hooked on Thomas Dolby ("She Blinded Me With Science"); I wanted my MTV (Mark Knoffler and Sting); I remember staying up all night to watch Toto, Phil Collins and Philip Bailey, the Police, Foreigner, Journey and Steve Perry, Billy Joel, Elton John, Earth, Wind and Fire, Wild Cherry (hint: "Play that Funky Music...")... remember KC and the Sunshine Band, the Jackson 5 (when Michael had his real nose!)... can you tell I was addicted? What? You say I still AM addicted? No way!

Did I mention the Tubes, Todd Rundgren, The Cars, Duran Duran, Mr. Mister, The Fixx, van Halen, Chicago, Pete Cetera, Laura Brannigan, Karla Bonhoff, Nicolette Larson, Robbie Dupree, Roger Vadoris, Bobby Caldwell...

I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving... we head into my personal "crazy time..." Advent and Christmas... lots of services, lots of different styles of music, lots of outside groups coming to perform, lots of inside groups performing as well... we're all givin' glory to the Lord, whatever way we can.

As you can tell, I have a fairly eclectic taste in music... some would say a schizophrenic taste in music! I've always felt that variety of the music we do at Prairie Lutheran is one of the reasons people come to worship... they know that they'll probably hear something familiar, but they'll probably hear a new song, or a new soloist or group... there's really never a dull moment!

Come and check us out if you're looking for a new church. You can check out our website at www.prairielutheran.org to hear samples of our pastors preaching, or to find out more about the congregation, staff and programming.

Ok, time to say "Good night, Gracie!" "Good night, Gracie!"

Have a GREAT day... we'll see you in church!

PrairiePete

No comments: