Thursday, July 24, 2008

Life is good...

You know, no matter how my day has been, it's always a good day. I think it was George Burns who said, "When I wake up, the first thing I read is the obituaries... if I don't see my name there, I get out of bed!"

I think the perspective of time is so interesting... the things I thought were important when I was younger don't seem to be such a big deal anymore. The older I get, the more precious and fleeting and whimsical life becomes...

I used to be a night owl... wait, I am a night owl! Anyway, I used to sleep in in the mornings, which I find hard to do anymore. Life is too short... now one of my favorite things is to get out of bed and go get the paper... especially when it's summertime in Minnesota. The air is usually so clean and clear, you can hear all the birds singing... my mom used to say, "Oh, I hear Mr. Cardinal!" Now, that's what I say when I hear a cardinal... must be maternal imprinting.

I know it's hard to believe, but I get discouraged just like the rest of you mortals do... thank God for the internet! My sister sent me a link about an incredible young man named Nick... here's the link: 
http://www.crystalcathedral.org/hour_of_power/videos/nick.php

It's a bit long, but I'm not sure how anyone who watched it can feel sorry for themselves...

I love this line from a James Taylor song... "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time..." That's so cool! 

Then the next verse goes:

"The secret of love is in opening up your heart
Its okay to feel afraid
But don't let that stand in your way
cause anyone knows that love is the only road
And since were only here for a while
Might as well show some style
Give us a smile
Isn't it a lovely ride..."

Finally, a few of you may be old enough to remember Dr. Sidney Freedman from the TV show M*A*S*H... Allan Arbus (Dr. Freedman) played an Army psychiatrist... at the end of one episode, Dr. Freedman gave the stressed O.R. staff some advice: "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Enjoy the journey, my friend... remember, life is a one lap race!

Pray for peace... and passion!
Prairie Pete

No comments: